Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

arnaud

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops, i edited my previous before seeing your answer.

yes the IP configuration confused me in the beginning: if I want to connect to my desktop mac from diamonds, I have to use an ip address starting in 10.168 even though whatismyip.com says my IP starts in 152. That change occurred after the IP phones were installed. In the new set up the mac is plugged to the phone and the phone is plugged to the ethernet slot. Maybe that's what puts me outside of the dhe. Anyway to check if you're inside or out?
Go to Top of Page

petty
BIAC Staff

USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could have francis check the port# with DHTS .. but a trivial way to see if you're inside to try and look at the BIAC calendar
Go to Top of Page

arnaud

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by petty

you could have francis check the port# with DHTS .. but a trivial way to see if you're inside to try and look at the BIAC calendar

Ok I'll check with Francis. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

francis.favorini
Forum Admin

USA
618 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit francis.favorini's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The actual internal IP address your machine gets will be 10.x.x.x (unless you have a static IP address, which you won't) or 172.x.x.x on wireless. For the purposes of accessing any resources within DHE, only the internal address matters. The IP address reported by any external website will be an external address (152.16.x.x), which is due to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation]NAT[/url]. You should be able to access Fatt via SMB from a wireless connection. If you are unplugging another machine in DHN from the BIAC network and trying to use that port, it won't work.

IT Director, Brain Imaging and Analysis Center
Go to Top of Page

arnaud

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Francis,
Thanks for clarifying about the NAT and the case where a machine would be disconnected from the network. In my case however, I am using a desktop computer (fornix.dhe.duke.edu) with a static dynamic address (10.x.x.x) at Duke North. It is DHCP but curiously the lease hasn't been renewed in months.
- with VPN, samba to fatt.dhe works
- without VPN, samba hangs
So it seems like vpn is required to access nernst shares via samba even from a computer in the DHE network. Works for me but it would be nice not to have to use vpn.

Edited by - arnaud on Aug 04 2011 08:43:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

francis.favorini
Forum Admin

USA
618 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  1:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit francis.favorini's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Note, the 10.x.x.x address you are getting is not static. It's a DHCP address.

IT Director, Brain Imaging and Analysis Center
Go to Top of Page

arnaud

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Francis,

I can mount munin.dhe via samba from my desktop without vpn but I cannot reach hill.dhe and fatt.dhe without vpn.

vpn should not be necessary in my case because my desktop computer is behind the dhe firewall. For example I can mount munin shares. I need to be able to mount hill and fatt because that is where our lab folders are.

Chris pointed out that my address starts in 10.168 instead of 10.152. Could this be the problem? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BIAC Forums © 2000-2010 Brain Imaging and Analysis Center Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000