Michael De Bellis, M.D.[Edit Page]
Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences (tenured), Duke University Medical Center
Director, Healthy Childhood Brain Development and Developmental Traumatology Research Program, Durham, NC
Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Insitute and Clinic University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh PA
Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
MD, 1987, State University of New York Health Science Center (Medicine)
MPH, 2000, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (Public Health)
Recent Representative Publications
- De Bellis, MD, Van Voorhees, E, Hooper,S, Gibler, N, Nelson, L, Hege, S, Payne, M, MacFall, J: Diffusion Tensor Measures of the Corpus Callosum in Adolescents with Adolescent Onset Alcohol Use Disorders. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 32(3) pp395-404, 2008.
- L. Wang, S. A. Huettel, M.D. De Bellis: Neural Substrates for Processing Task-Irrelevant Emotional Distracters in Children and Adolescents. Developmental Science, 11(1):23-32, 2008.
- Thomas, LA, De Bellis, MD, Graham, R, LaBar, KS: Development of emotional facial recognition in late childhood and adolescence, Developmental Science, 0(7) pp 547-558, 2007.
- De Bellis, MD, Kuchibhatla M: Cerebellar volumes in pediatric maltreatment-related posttraumatic stress disorder, Biological Psychiatry. 60(7):697-703 2006
- De Bellis, MD, Narasimhan, A., Thatcher, D.L., Keshavan, MS, Soloff, P., Clark DB: Prefrontal Cortex, Thalamus and Cerebellar Volumes in Adolescents and Young Adults with Adolescent Onset Alcohol Use Disorders and Co-Morbid Mental Disorders, Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 29(9) 1590-1600 2005.
- De Bellis, MD: The Neurotoxic Effects of Childhood Trauma: MRI Studies of Pediatric Maltreatment-Related PTSD versus non-traumatized Children with GAD. In Fear and Anxiety: Benefits of Translational Research, Gorman, JM, (eds.), American Psychiatric Press, Inc, pp.151-170, 2004.
- De Bellis MD, Keshavan MS, Frustaci K, Shifflett H, Iyengar S, Beers SR, Hall J. Superior temporal gyrus volumes in maltreated children and adolescents with PTSD. Biol Psychiatr 2002;51:544-552.
- De Bellis MD. Developmental traumatology: A contributory mechanism for alcohol and substance use disorders. Special Rev Psychoneuroendocrin 2002;27:155-170.
- De Bellis MD. Developmental Traumatology: The psychobiological development of maltreated children and its implications for research, treatment, and policy. Dev & Psychopath 2001;13:537-561.
- De Bellis MD, Keshavan MS, Spencer S, Hall J. Anterior cingulate N-acetylaspartate concentrations in maltreated children and adolescents with PTSD. Am J Psychiatr 2000;157:737-744.
- De Bellis MD, Keshavan M, Clark DB, Casey BJ:. A. E. Bennett Research Award. Developmental Traumatology: Part II: Brain Development. Biol Psychiatr 1999;45(10):1271-1284.
- De Bellis MD, Baum A, Birmaher B, Keshavan MS. Ryan ND. A. E. Bennett Research Award. Developmental Traumatology: Part I: Biological Stress Systems. Biol Psychiatr 1999;45(10):1259-1270.
- De Bellis, MD, Chrousos, GP, Dorn, LD, Burke, L, Kling, MA, Trickett, PK, and Putnam, FW: HPA axis dysregulation in sexually abused girls. J of Clin Endocrinology & Metabolism, 78:249-255, 1994.